February 12, Abu Dhabi ~ Naseem (Mahabb (AE) – Aryaan (FR) by Kesberoy (FR)-, a four-year-old chestnut colt, bred and owned by Shaikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, gave trainer Majed Al Jahouri a 1-2 for in the featured 2200m Arabian Derby on Sunday evening. Wayne Smith, last season’s champion jockey, was in the saddle on the impressive winner who has now won both his starts in the UAE. Chased home by stable companion Areem (Mahabb (AE) – Canelle De Carrere (FR) by Djamel (FR)-making his local debut, the result was not in doubt once Smith’s mount hit the front.
Smith said: “I did say after his first win here that he was one of the best Purebred Arabians I have ridden, and I have sat on a few nice ones, so I am delighted he has won again and in such good style. There is no telling how good he may turn out to be and, who knows, he may even be a [Dubai] Kahayla Classic horse and it was nice to have a winner as I had been enduring a bit of a quiet spell.” Smith’s brother, David, was in the saddle on Naseem Al Reef (Nez D’Or (FR) – Diskoteka (RU) by Strij (RU)-who won the 1400m Jebel Dhana handicap for trainer Eric Lemartinel.
Manisha (Darike (FR) – Al Misk (FR) by Vadeer (GB)-, a 1400m maiden winner last Sunday on her debut, followed up in great style when running out the easy winner of the 1600m Emirates Fillies’ Classic. Trained by Ernst Oertel, she was ridden by Mirco Demuro who was impressed by the filly and said: “She clearly learned a lot from that first run last week and seems to have improved a lot for that run and the experience. She has won very well tonight and she seems a nice young horse who can hopefully progress.”
Jaci Wickham brought home another double starting with the win of the first race of the evening with Wajfah W’rsan (Amer – Wildest Dreams (US) by Monarch AH (US), who had come in as a reserve. Wickham also trains Raeaa W’Rsan ( Amer – ROYAL GIRL (US) by Monarch AH (US)- and this six-year-old dug deep to win the 1600m conditions race to the delight of jockey Harry Bentley who said: “That has been a great start to the evening and both have won well enough. You always know you have a chance on Jaci’s runners as she does so well with her string and they have been in really good form.” Wickham was still riding her jubilation from the 1, 2 win (Maymoun W’Rsan and Kareem W’Rsan) in the HH Sh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Breeders Challenge at Jebel Ali on Friday.
The following 1400m Wathba Stud Farm Cup handicap was won comfortably by MH Wafi Bibi De Carrere (FR) – VALINA (RU) by Nagan (RU) with Tadhg O’Shea in the saddle for Doug Watson.
O’Shea said: “That is only the second time I have ridden him and he did it nicely in what had looked a competitive heat.”
Trainer Ali Rashid Al Raihe supplied the 1-2 in the only Thoroughbred race, a 2200m maiden. Stable jockey Royston Ffrench was on Maali but the pair were unable to catch stable companion Jamhoori who led for the last 1600m under apprentice Saeed Al Mazrooei.
Al Reef Maiden, Pas, Dh30,000, 8F:
1. Wajfah W’rsan (Jaci Wickham) Harry Bentley;
2. Mudaf’e (Eric Lemartinel) G. Avranche;
3. Helouane (M. Al Ketbi) Ted Durcan.
Time: 1:48.17; Distances: 2.25L, 2.25L
Al Ras Al Akdar Conditions Race, Pas, Dh60,000, 8F:
1. Raeaa W’rsan (Jaci Wickham) Harry Bentley;
2. Al Hamra (Al Ketbi) Ted Durcan;
3. AF Sataah (J. Peromingo) Wayne Smith;
Time: 1:45.27; Distances: Head, 1.25L;
Wathba Stud Farm Cup, Pas, Handicap, Dh40,000, 7F:
1. MH Wafi (Doug Watson) Tadgh O’Shea;
2. Barolo (H. Hammadi) M. DEmuro;
3. Chase Me (Eric Lemartinel) G. Avranche.
Time: 1:32.00; Distances: 3.50L, 1.25L.
Emirates Fillies Classic, PAs, Prestige, Dh100,000, 8F:
1. Manisha (Ernst Oertel) Mirco Demuro;
2. Shajaret Eddor Al Reef (Majid Al Jahouri) Jesus Rosales;
3. Maharani (E. Oertel) A. Nicholls
Time: 1:45.69; Distances: 3.25L, 3L
UAE Arabian Derby, PAs, Prestige,Dh150,000, 11F:
1. Naseem (Majid Al Jahouri) Wayne Smith;
2. Areem (Majid Al Jahouri) Harry Bentley;
3. Daffagh Al Asayl (E. Oertel) M. Demuro.
Time: 2:28.54; Distances:3.25L, 5L
Jebel Dhana, PAs, Handicap, Dh75,000, 11F:
1. Naseem Al Reef (Eric Lemartinel) D. Smith;
2. Marjan Al Asayl (E. Oertel) M. DEmuro;
3. Najem Al Khalij (Jaber Bittar) Wayne Smith.
Lulu Island, Maiden, Thoroughbreds, Dh35,000, 11F:
1. Jamhoori (Ali Rashid Al Raihe) S. Al Mazrooei;
2. Maali (Ali Rashid Al Raihe) Rpyston Ffrench;
3. Covert Desire (Esmail Mohammad) A. Murgia.